[olug] First time I ever liked a hacker

andrew olug at einer.org
Mon Apr 7 14:34:14 UTC 2003

I agree that the debate surrounding DRM and TIA are concerning. However,
I don't believe that the technology is 'bad.' Tech can't have a moral
value. It's just tech. We can use tech for bad things or good things.
Nuclear bomb vs. Nuclear power. Electric chair vs. Electric toaster.

For instance, if DRM were real then I could publish images and video
streams that were garaunteed to be unaltered. If media moved to use this
model, we could have trustworthy news. We would also have verifiable
accountability. More trust is better. No more reports from a closet with
a blue screen back drop, no more altered photographs in Time magazine.

Sure DRM can be used to enforce a publisher's will on content, but so
what. Just don't buy the CD. If consumers find more value in being able
to play the music of their choice than the ability to copy said CD, both
sides win. DRM can also be used to ensure that the picture you've taken
on your DRM enhanced camera, is unaltered and a true representation of
what the camera saw at that moment.

"Do not be the typical sheeple and blindly accept what is being forced
fed to you."

Like that DRM is bad?

I hope DRM is implemented by an OSS/Free Software group. What good is
free speech if it can't be verified?

Andrew Holm-Hansen