[olug] SAN Information

Rogers, John C NWD02 John.C.Rogers at nwd02.usace.army.mil
Fri Sep 27 19:09:36 UTC 2002

The software depends on how fancy you want to be.  If you use LUN masking
etc. in the controller or switch then each host can only see the LUN the
controller lets it see via hardware addressing on the loop.  Now some say
that is not a true SAN but I use the definition that multiple hosts are
using one physical disk array so I call it a SAN.  Now if you add software
to the mix then a whole bucket of possibilities opens up.  You can choose
Veritas or the software from the SAN vendor.  In this case the SAN is more
like another host on the loop but it's job is to store and retrieve data
to/from the disks.  These more advanced SANs allow you to do all sorts of
cool things like have been discussed (volume management, filesystem
resizing, cache stripe optimization, disk block size masking and the like).
In that environment the host never really "owns" the data is how I look at
it.  The data belongs to the SAN and it is served to the host as it requests
it.

In my environment the host really owns the data because it probes the loop
for the LUNs and then attaches to them and will get really mad if it does
not see them (it is not a virtual volume).  What is cool is that if you use
fibre channel drives and fibre controllers they are all dual attached by
design.  So you can build a completely separate data path to the disks for
redundancy if you want to.  Again the more you add the more you pay.  In
Sun's case they have redundant interface software that watches for hardware
failure and can switch to the secondary path if needed.  This is basically
Veritas software under the covers.  The really big arrays spend a lot of
effort to make them fast.  Some big Hitachi units have over 10GB of disk
cache (ram) that the CPU manages to allocate the writes in the most
efficient manner.  There is a world of difference between what I use and
those units.  We wanted something reasonable in cost, expandable, reliable
and vendor neutral for upgrading in the future.  So we built our system.

John