Reply to rant: [olug] server life span

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Sep 27 15:46:22 UTC 2002

Well of course what is best for you will depend on what you're going to do
with it.

The possible iterations of hardware are too numerous to cover.  We looked
mainly at Dell/EMC (they're partnered) and Xiotech.  There are dozens of
other vendors out there.

Between those two:

Initial price:  EMC was a little more than Xiotech for our initial space
requirements, but the upgrade costs will be incurred much sooner, and will
be much more expensive with EMC.  EMC has their appliance processor in one
"box", and their disks in other "boxes" (10 per box).  Xiotech has it all
in one chassis which holds up to 32 drives.   One very interesting thing
was that Dell/EMC SIGNIFICANTLY cut their prices when they heard they had
competition.  I think if they get the bid their prices could go back up for
the upgrades.

Performance:  I think EMC has the edge here.  Xiotech virualizes their
storage at the software level and thats going to incur a performance hit
(despite what they say).  That being said I think that unless you need
every drop of performance the Xiotech will be fine.

Redundancy:  EMC's appliance is fully redundant right down to the
processor.  Xiotech is redundant except for the processor.  As far as data
redundancy both systems support multiple "hot" spares in the chassis.

Managability:  Neither of them are manageable through command line or web.
Sorry.  I think Xiotech's software is a little better as it runs on DOS and
not Windows.  IMO that makes it more stable and much easier to get back.

The one thing you didn't ask about but you should look at is support.
Everyone that I've talked to that has a Xiotech has given them absolutely
glowing recommendations.

For my application I like the Xiotech better.  Cheaper upgrade path, easy
manageability, good support, and it supports all the OS's I need it to.
(Windows, Netware, *nix)

What I would say if you are looking at a SAN is: get a budget.   $50K will
get you started with a Xiotech, but it won't even touch an EMC system.

Bill