[olug] server life span

roger schmeits schmeits at clarksoncollege.edu
Thu Sep 26 19:56:56 UTC 2002

Greetings:
Gotta' bitch..  We bought a Proliant 3000 4 years. Since then we have
added several disks and an additional cpu. Currently it have about 50G
of storage space. Main function is a file server.

this machine has served us well. But at the end of this year it comes
off the hardware support contact and now must look for a new bigger
faster server.

I hate retiring servers.

It seems silly to spend several thousand dollars and retire it 4 years
later.  Is it me or what??  Why cant a person add another blade of some
sort and keep the machine another 4 years of support. Is there a better
way of upgrading servers than this???

Might be time to look at a SAN.

done with rant..

Roger