[olug] Try Gentoo?

Adam Lassek hayai2 at cox.net
Fri Sep 13 00:16:18 UTC 2002

I've been running Gentoo for the past few months and couldn't be
happier. I was using Debian, and although I still love that distribution
for server applications, I'm more of a bleeding-edge type user when it
comes to my desktop machine so Gentoo is perfect for me. Emerge is
actually easier to use than apt-get, I think. Plus everything is
optimized for your machine.

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 20:54, Steve Busby wrote:
> OLUG Users,
>
> I've been lurking since Jun, but for whatever reason other commitments have
> prevented me from attending the monthly OLUG Meeting.  Which really sucks
> because I only work in UNMC which is just a couple of blocks from Clarkson
> College.
>
> Anyway, I heard the last meeting was informative and I was wondering whether
> any other members have taken the Gentoo plunge?
>
> On that note I do have one stumbling block, during the pre-bootstrap process,
> the instructions say to edit the /etc/make.conf file with our respective CPU
> info.  Anybody have an idea how to properly list an AMD am5x86-WB processor?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> BuzB
>
> Registered Linux User #216668
> Current System Stats:
> Linux 2.4.18-6mdk #1 Fri Mar 15 02:59:08 CET 2002 i686
>   8:46pm  up 4 days, 10:59,  1 user,  load average: 1.71, 1.75, 1.68
yip yip yip yip yap yap yip *BANG* -- NO TERRIER