[olug] Mac OSX Accessibility Question.

Don E. Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Sat Sep 7 14:20:10 UTC 2002

For those of you that know the innards of MAC OS-X, I have a question. Will X
apps work in conjunction  with the Mac GUI? Here's why I'm asking. . . .

I'm working with Vocational Rehabilitation to find work The person I'm
working with mentioned that they have a perrson on staff who has a Visual
Impairment. (i.e. she can see but it's difficult for her to read the screen.)
That immediately made me think of Galleon which has that nifty liitle size
enhancer built right into the toolbar! i mentioned this  and she wanted to
know if this was available in Windows or Mac Land. There is no M$ port that I
can find and probably no Mac port as well. I said that I would see what I
could do (as part of my homework assignment)!

My questions are:
1. Is there a way to get X apps working on OS X? How hard would it be to  do
this and still use the Mac GUI?

2. Are there other solutions such as screen size enhancers? (I'm sure they've
looked at this option but she indicated to me that they weren't satisfied
with the options available.) I will ask if they've tried over riding the web
site preferences with  the browsers. (Usually only works well on non frame
sites).

3. Any other suggestions?

Let me know.

Don Kauffman