[olug] Next meeting, next Tuesday?

Cameron Hill yocam at acmnet.net
Fri Sep 6 00:21:49 UTC 2002

Well I guess it is time for me to take the plunge. I have been receiving
from the e-mail list for a few months hoping to see even one concept that
would ring a bell. I have no experience with linux but have bought and
installed a device in one of my drive bays that allows you to switch hard
drives manually by pushing a switch. This connects one of three hard drives
by physical connection. Then when I turn the computer on that particular
drive is my computer. On one of the drives I installed SUSE a boxed version
that I bought at Comp USA. All I did is plug in the cd and everything was
done. I have a DIT built p-4 1.4 gig. At this point I do not need a sound
card to be operational but I want to use this drive for surfing and nothing
else at this point. I want a surfing drive without MS MESS. I am quite sure
that the modem that DIT installed is a win-modem. The box has firewire,usb
and serial and parrallel ports. From what I have gathered I need an outboard
or hardware  modem. I live too far from town to have anything but a dial-up
connection. I do not do t.v. and don't want cable. I have no Eisa slots,
only PCI. What workhorse of the industry is the modem to buy for a 56k
connection? If it is internal it has to be PCI to work with my motherboard.