[olug] Video editing software? Photo editing software?

Ryan rps at willconsult.com
Thu Oct 31 15:46:48 UTC 2002

At 12:46 PM 10/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>For splitting up files and removing sound, stuff like cinelerra is
>serious overkill. In fact, thats not even what its for. You want
>Avidemux, available at http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
>It basically aims to be a linux replacement for Virtualdub.

I got avidemux downloaded and compiled, but everytime I try to open my file
I get a decompression error.  I don't totally understand all these formats
and codecs.  Evidently, an avi file is not just an avi file, it can be
encoded with all kinds of codecs.  The movie I am trying to edit came off
of my Canon digital camera.

I also tried to use ffmpeg and I think one or two others.

I did finally get MainActor to run by linking my existing libstdc++ file to
the one it was looking for.  It was able to open and view the file.  But
it's commercial software, I just have the eval.

Any tips on what I can do to make avidemux work?  Can new codecs be added
to it?  I didn't see anything on their site that helped.

When I first tried to play an .avi file from my camera on my Win2K
workstation here at work it didn't work either.  I had to download a codec
for it and install it.

-Ryan