[olug] COMSAT?

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Oct 21 19:54:58 UTC 2002

If the win32 machines have winpopup (for win95/98) or the messenger
service (same thing for NT I believe), you could use samba to have the
linux box broadcast winpopup notification messages to all the win32
clients.  The man page for smbclient will explain the exact details for
sending such messages.

If I was to do something along those lines, I'd imagine I'd just slap a
shell script into the crontab to check for new e-mail every 10 minutes
or so, and then spawn the notification via 'smbclient -M'.  This
solution, based on shell scripts, is quite flexible and allows a lot of
customization for individual needs.  The popup could contain the subject
line from the e-mail, or the time it arrived, or both, or the
presence/absence of attachments, etc.

Nick Walter