[olug] samba upgrade

Quinn Coldiron qcoldir at nmhs.org
Thu Oct 17 13:46:59 UTC 2002

Save your /etc/smb.conf config file.
Remove ALL of the RPM's
The source tar file has everything you need so compile and install it.
By default it goes to /usr/local/samba.  The new location for the config
file will be /usr/local/samba/lib.  You should be able to drop your old
config file in that location.

Upgrading to a new tar distribution later is easy.  Just make a backup
of the /usr/local/samba directory.  Delete the directory and compile the
new one.

Quinn

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 08:39, roger schmeits wrote:

> With the latest release of samba would like to move from version 2.21a-4
> to 2.2.6. How does one move from a rpm based samba to tar.gz? In other
> words how do I upgrade from samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm to samba-2.2.6.tar.gz.
>
> Do I remove samba : rpm -e samba?
>
> And what do I do with the other samba rpm packages:
> samba-client-2.2.1a-4 & samba-common-2.2.1a-4? Are they included with
> the tar package?
>
> Can I assume I remove the rpm packages (all of them) and compile from
> source? And how do I install a new version of samba when the next
> release comes out?? with a source package you can't do a rpm -e.
>
> sorry for all the questions just trying to get a handle on it.
>

> Using RH7.2. Thanks.
>

> Roger

You don't "install" web pages; you simply visit them.
Why should applications be any different?

Quinn P. Coldiron
Cerner Technical Coordinator
Nebraska Methodist Hospital
402-354-1619