[olug] Cox and Web Servers

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Thu Oct 10 14:25:40 UTC 2002

Yea, they unblocked port 25 about 8-12 months ago.  I was running an SMTP
server at home for a long time as @home and cox then they shut it down.  Had
to host my SMTP server at my work,  was going to do the same with my
website, but changing the port to 3000 worked fine for me.  Haven't switched
my SMTP back to home, just in case they decide to block it again.

I'm not sure what their rationale is for blocking port 80.  Definitely isn't
bandwidth, file sharing programs eat up allot more bandwidth.  Isn't virus
protection either,  if I remember the stats email account for more than 90%
of the virus propagation in the world.  Oh well,  its not too much of an
inconvenience for me.

Trent