[olug] Mail Relaying w/Filtering

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 16:33:18 UTC 2002

First a question to the list.  How do I setup qmail to deliver to the
old fashioned /var/spool/mail/$USER or whatever the default of most
distros is?

I did some google research on the relaying and thanks to the list, I
found everything I needed.  After evaluating sendmail and qmail and my
previously good experience with djbdns, I decided to go with qmail.
The test machine setup didn't work very well because of the internal
network stucture without dns names.  After some tweeking of etc/hosts
and reconfig of qmail for bms.local domain name it worked fairly well.
I could even send email to the outside world.  Talk about spammers
heaven.  I then setup qmail on our external server.  after one small
glitch with reverse lookup of domain name ftp2.intellefleet.com which
resolved to the ISPs name instead, everything worked internally.
Setting up Maildir is kind of annoying since that isn't the default
setup for distros.  Once I understood it and setup Mutt to read from
Maildir, I thought it was easy to use and fairly intuitive.  This
format may not work with the scripts that we want to write though so I
mayhave to switch back.

I didn't install linux on the ftp2 machine because it is in California.
 They installed a personal firewall on it that didn't allow port 25.
Like an idiot my first response was to flush the firewall rules.
iptables -F which then disconnected me and didn't allow me to log back
in.  We had to email the peeps in california to reboot the machine. :)
This morning I did it right and configured shorewall to accept port 25
and restarted the firewall.  Much better.

Anyway that is the scoop on this end.  Thanks for all your help and
offers for help.  I'll be trying the compact flash stuff next week
probably.

Eric