[olug] PHP vs. Perl

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Wed Nov 27 15:18:25 UTC 2002

I'm in the process of building a web page for my family (we just had a
baby, blah, blah, blah), and I have several questions.

1. Most of my web page data, such as photos are stored in a MySQL database.
To manage the database I use MySQLMan by Gossamer-Threads
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/mysqlman/ , and it's a great web
interface to manage the database, but when it lists the photos on the web
page, it displays them as they are stored, rather than as they should
appear (funky garbage characters). Can someone recommend a web interface to
manage a MySQL database? I've heard of PHPmyadmin. Any good? If so, does it
display photo images rather than a bunch of garbage characters all over the
screen?

2. To extract these photos and other data (text and video) from the
database, I normally use Perl's DBI. Is there any advantage in learning PHP
to create these web pages? The reason I'm asking this question here is
because of the survey I saw posted on OLUG that most people prefer PHP over
Perl to create web pages.
http://www.olug.org/modules.php?name=Surveys&op=results&pollID=10&mode=&order=&thold=

3. I'm using a MySQL database in hopes all of this is going to scale no
matter how many photos I've got in that database. Are there any
disadvantages to building my site in this manner or have I assumed
correctly that this is a best practice?

Thanks in advance and have a very Happy Thanksgiving,

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net