[olug] Sick of DNS problems

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 21:55:39 UTC 2002

I'm sick of having DNS problems.  I installed dnscache on an internal
machine and it works beautifully (except when my son unplugs the
network switch).  I bypass the ISPs server now and have no problems.  I
now want something more.

Now for the big question.  What are the alternatives to the traditional
ICANN stuff?  I've heard of OpenNIC and ?RSC? or something.  Does
anybody have their machines set up to do this kind of thing?  How hard
is it to setup?  Do they just implement traditional dns stuff over udp
and have their own root servers?

I want to do this, but jumping into uncharted waters is not what I want
to do right now.  This could very well be an awesome presentation for
an OLUG meeting, especially if it is simple to implement.

Eric