[olug] Running before walking. Graphical C

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Mon Nov 25 16:29:41 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 08:19:53AM -0800, Eric Penne wrote:
> I need to write some GUI stuff for Windows for a project that I am
> involved with.  I have a windows machine but use Linux mostly.  Is it
> possible to write Windows GUI stuff in Linux and then just test in the
> windows world?  What do I need to start with?

If you know Python, wxPython is the way to go.   I've written a few apps
in Linux with it that have worked fine in wxPython.

But . . . the initial learning curve is quite steep, and the
documentation is for C++ (wxWindows) with annotations for wxPython.  There is
also wxPerl, but I know nothing about that.

http://www.wxpython.org

> This is just a learning experience mostly.  My stuff probably won't be
> incorporated into the code, but it will get us away from the Visual
> Basic stuff that is being used now.  Using and opensource compiler and
> stuff for this project is very important.  Maybe we should just
> implement this in HTML.

Implementing it via web/HTML isn't a bad idea -- most people are familiar
with that interface.  Does anyone else get the feeling that we are
heading back to the dumb terminal/mainframe why of life?  Only now the dumb
terminals are pretty web browsers, and the mainframes are web servers.

-- mikeh