Fw: [olug] Telnet on Private Network

Mike Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Fri Nov 22 19:10:54 UTC 2002

 The telnet file for xinetd that resides in /etc/xinetd.d exists.

# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        disable = no
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

I can run the telnet server via the command line and can connect to it.
The command I run as root is

/usr/sbin/in.telnetd -debug 23

This allows me to connect for one instance and then when I disconnect it
terminates the task.

I have stopped and started xinetd.
I have rebooted the system.

 I installed the updated rpm for xinetd.
I installed the updated rpm for telnet-server also.

I added
port = 23
to the telnet file above and no change.