[olug] Unix Tip: GET THE HIDDEN FILES

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Thu Nov 21 21:50:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Brian Roberson wrote:

> > figure out. Looking back, I don't know if "single" was a valid boot
> argument
> > or not.
>
> "<kernel name> single " as a boot argument has been supported from at least
> kernel version 1.x ;-)  but depending on the distro flavor, you may still
> need the root password......

linux init=/bin/sash  (or insert fav shell)

Of course you really want a static shell for when you delete libc (honest
it was by accident!!!) ;-{

I keep sash around because it is static and also contains all the needed
utils built in (ls, mv, rm, tar, etc...)

Also make sure you have the SysKey compiled into the kernel (unless you
like staring at fsck output...)

Even better - I should find the SLS patch that emulated the .97 kernel
boot - That kernel booted to 4 vterms. With little else on the system. And
on a 386sx no less... sigh.

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street