[olug] OT: Seeking Information on Borland C++ CLI for M$

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Wed Nov 20 22:57:19 UTC 2002

Daniel Pfile said:
> I don't remember having a problem with that compiler, but I was using
> it on NT 4 and Win2k.
>
> I'd recommend getting cygwin. http://www.cygwin.com/

Depending on your needs, this is a rather invasive solution.  I'm not
knocking it, as I use Cygwin myself, but if all you need is a C++
compiler, installing a full POSIX environment is overkill.

> It's free, and you can run gcc on it.

Some other options:

* The MinGW compiler (based on gcc) is available from
http://www.mingw.org/. This doesn't require the POSIX environment supplied
with Cygwin, and as such is a better alternative if you don't need POSIX.

* The Microsoft compilers are available for free with the .Net Framework
SDK from http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/howtoget.asp (If
you're a MS basher, don't bother responding.)

William E. Kempf