[olug] Computers 4 Africa

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Nov 12 15:17:36 UTC 2002

I worked with setting up 10 computers for africa last night.  This
computer recycling warehouse (Electronic Recyclers) down on 11th street
like hamilton? has some of their computers systems set aside for CFA and
we setup a makeshift assembly line installing network cards, printers,
modems, and cdrom drives on them... with a load of Win95 and Staroffice.

This next shipment of 200 or so computers is expected to ship out in mid
December.  If you would like to help out, please email me.  I will have an
'installfest' at my garage for the next couple of mondays it sounds like,
1305 S. 55th Ave.

I would like to send a couple systems this time, or perhaps a complete
pilot school on the next shipment with GNU/Linux systems.  Would anyone
else be willing to help me out with this... getting an easy-to-use and
maintain standard system load ready?  This could be a project for the next
shipment, the group could sponsor a school out in Africa.  Refer to my
links below for some info.  I'm ready to use GNU/Linux, and
opensource/free software to help save the world!  Anyone want to join me?
=)

peace
Brian

ps
also - please tell your business and companies to consider donating or
selling (for a small price, $10/system?) their old but usable computer
systems to the 501 c non profit organization Computers For Africa.  If
nothing else, please recycle with Electronic Recyclers here in town - we
don't need ewaste. :)