[olug] Debian fixed IP address

Dave Burchell burchell at inebraska.com
Tue Nov 12 01:55:34 UTC 2002

On my Debian 2.2 system you would want to modify the file
"/etc/init.d/network".  Change it in this block of settings:

IPADDR=10.10.10.4
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
GATEWAY=10.10.10.14

On my Debian 3.0 system the file "/etc/network/interfaces" holds the
settings to change:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.10.10.18
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.255.255.255
        gateway 10.10.10.14

Note that you might need a new gateway or netmask as well, depending on
what the new IP address will be.

You may need to change the IP address in other places as well, such as
"/etc/hosts".

"/etc/resolv.conf" is the traditional place to tell a Unix box where to
find its DNS servers.

I believe that with both of these boxes there is a slick, menu-driven way to
change these settings.  "dpkg-reconfigure netbase" perhaps?

Eric Penne says:

> I setup my debian box with dhcp.  Now I want it to have a fixed IP.  I
> cannot figure out the scripts so I can do this.
>
> This arises because I don't like using the dns servers taht are
> provided by my isp.  Therefore I setup dnscache.  I have a linksys
> router/dhcp server that doesn't allow me to specify the dns server to
> send out to the clients.  It will only allow static IPs with my dns
> server or it will send out whatever it gets from the dhcp server on the
> other side.
>
> How do I configure my debian box to hav a fixed IP.  This is my storage
> server, so the fixed ip will be useful.  I am getting a Pentium 90
> pretty soon to setup my own router/dhcp server but right now I still
> need to use the linksys.
>
> Eric

Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org