[olug] Samba PDC and Samba Fileserver

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Mon Nov 11 23:35:43 UTC 2002

> Do I need to make these accounts local on the Fileserver to allow for
> connections?  Or, does the Samba Fileserver use the domain accounts?

they need to be local ( OR... use pam_smb ... but that is a whole other ball
of wax.... )

> I'm looking for an answer before I spend a few hours of typing in
> accounts that I may not have to.

awk is your friend, ( just one way ) heck, you should only need to type
about 3 lines to any number of users setup :)

here is even a one liner:
scp $machine_with_accounts:/etc/passwd /tmp/pp ; awk -F: '{if $3 > 500 {
useradd $1; }}' /tmp/pp ; rm -f /tmp/pp ;pwck

> Another related item is this:  The Net logon feature of the Samba PDC is
> working, but the Profiles is not.  I followed the directions in a few
> sources, but I haven't had any success.

What documentation have you tried to follow?