[olug] Flash in web devel. under Linux

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 00:11:26 UTC 2002

Hey all...   Nice meeting last night.

I've been doing web development in Linux for several months, and I've been searching around for Linux development tools for Macromedia's Flash files.  It an open spec file, and as such many independant development tools are available for creating Flash animations.  However, they're all Windows based from what I've seen.

Has anyone created Flash files with anything Linux based?  And if so, with what?

There *is* a plugin out there for dynamic flash creation under PHP called ming (http://ming.sourceforge.net/), but it appears development has ceased for the time being.  Can anyone share their experiences using Ming (assuming you have)?

Anyway, any tips would be much obliged.  I see flash animations increasing like wild fire on the web, and I'm sure opening up the spec on Macromedia's part has had a lot to do with its current popularity.

Thanks... and look forward hearing of any flash/Linux experiences!

Eric Pierce