[olug] web-based administration

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed Nov 6 08:37:23 UTC 2002

At Tue, 05 Nov 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
> http://www.appgate.com/products/mindterm/mindterm_pricing.php
>
> at $7,000 a pop, i dont think so. but thanks for the info.  I'll probably
> stumble upon what I'm looking for sometime in the future. thanks.

This is actually a fairly recent change.

MindTerm was initially a GPLed product, and continued that way for
a little over three years.  Around the time that support for SSH2 was
added, the people behind MindTerm started going more and more
commercial (changing from MindBright to AppGate), and when MindTerm 2.0
was released, it was released as a purely commercial product, with no
source code included.

However, on the positive side, another company, ISNetworks, has
(somewhat) continued development of MindTerm 1.2.1 (the last GPLed
version), making a few enhancements and updates.  You can find their
version at http://www.isnetworks.com/ssh/.  You can also find stock
releases of MindTerm 1.2.1 floating around on the web and ftp sites, or
if you're running Debian, 'apt-get install mindterm'.

MindTerm is a really nifty little tool, as it allows you full SSH/SCP
access to a host from any web browser, just by dropping the Java Applet
in a web accessible spot on the host.  I've been using it for years, and
still make frequent use of it.