[olug] Video editing software? Photo editing software?

Adam Lassek hayai2 at cox.net
Sun Nov 3 00:40:53 UTC 2002

You are correct. An AVI file is simply a container format that holds
video and audio codecs. There are many many codecs that can be used with
avi. Avidemux is failing I believe because, looking closer, I don't
think it supports anything but divx and xvid video. If this video is
straight from a digital camera, it's most likely in some DV codec or
possibly MJPEG.

You can try to recompress your video files using mencoder, which comes
with MPlayer; transcoder should also work. But my recommendation is to
get on a windows box and use VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/),
I've been encoding video for a little while now and there just isn't
anything under Linux that is even worth bothering with, I'm afraid.

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 09:46, Ryan wrote:
> At 12:46 PM 10/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> >For splitting up files and removing sound, stuff like cinelerra is
> >serious overkill. In fact, thats not even what its for. You want
> >Avidemux, available at http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
> >It basically aims to be a linux replacement for Virtualdub.
>
> I got avidemux downloaded and compiled, but everytime I try to open my file
> I get a decompression error.  I don't totally understand all these formats
> and codecs.  Evidently, an avi file is not just an avi file, it can be
> encoded with all kinds of codecs.  The movie I am trying to edit came off
> of my Canon digital camera.
>
> I also tried to use ffmpeg and I think one or two others.
>
> I did finally get MainActor to run by linking my existing libstdc++ file to
> the one it was looking for.  It was able to open and view the file.  But
> it's commercial software, I just have the eval.
>
> Any tips on what I can do to make avidemux work?  Can new codecs be added
> to it?  I didn't see anything on their site that helped.
>
> When I first tried to play an .avi file from my camera on my Win2K
> workstation here at work it didn't work either.  I had to download a codec
> for it and install it.
>
> -Ryan

yip yip yip yip yap yap yip *BANG* -- NO TERRIER