[olug] Best Cd-rom bootable cd-rom demo linux

Aaron Grothe grothe at earthlink.net
Sun May 26 02:41:41 UTC 2002

Hi,

People are asking me about how to try out linux without "screwing up" their computer. I've always recommended these people just give demolinux http://www.demolinux.org a spin.  Demo seems to work pretty well and with the latest 3.0 version it is mandrake (7.x) based.

Is there a better/different choice that I should check out?  I've heard some good things about knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html (not sure if it is debian or redhat based) and SUSE http://www.suse.com always has the live-eval cd-roms.  Slack http://www.slackware.com gives you a live cd-rom version in the slackware boxed set.  Ideally what I'm looking for is a version that is the same for the demo cd-rom as the version they would install on their machine, so I'm going to be giving SUSE live-eval another try here now that 8.0 is out.

I haven't tried runoncd (which I haven't tried as I don't read/write korean).  There were a couple of other cd-rom distros out there but most of them have appeared to gone to that great /dev/null in the sky.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron
=-=-=
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying