[olug] Bad Vendors,( Was looking for K6-2 motherboard)

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Mon May 20 19:11:33 UTC 2002

Andrew,
*I* haven't had any bad experiences with any pricewatch vendors personally,
but I do my homework (I'm still quite jumpy when it comes to the online
economy).  Our HLUG president Cesar had some trouble with MWave on a
motherboard purchase (MWave often comes up as the cheapest response).  You
can query him on the specifics (although he's out of country right now), but
it was bad enough that he posted a 'warning' on the HLUG list, and it sounded
pretty bad.  Other friends of mine have had bad experiences from pricewatch
listings, but I can't recall the specifics off hand.

I think the standard caveats apply to pricewatch listed sites (most of my
friends who have had trouble have usually broken one of the following):
a) if it's too good to be true, it probably is
b) Use a credit card that will protect your interests.
c) Do your homework on a site, make sure they list a phone number and a
explicit RMA procedure.  Never trust that they'll make it right.
d) (my personal rule) Don't buy things online that you can't write off.  Sure
having to eat a MB/Proc/Memory purchase would have sucked, but it wouldn't
have been the end of the world.

There are feedback sites out there.  Use those as well.

As a note, I recently purchased an upgrade MB/proc/memory from googlegear
(which I found on pricewatch and also advertise with computer shopper) and
was very happy with my order, but nothing was DOA and I didn't have to test
their customer support.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm