[olug] advice on UNO computer science degree

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Wed May 15 19:42:52 UTC 2002

Eric,
UNO has a good Computer Science program.  Now as a CS grad I should tell you
that most university CS programs focus on Computer Science as a discipline.
That is to say that there is much more to it than just programming and sys
admin.  Both of which you will learn more about on the job, after your
degree, than during your academic endeavors.  What you will learn about is
theory with some practicals.  Personally, I think that a CS degree is a very
good thing if you intend to make a career out of it.  Programming and
SysAdmins, in my opinion, gain more from working under an experienced person
that what you will learn in school.  However, if you then wish to become
more than a worker bee, this is where your CS degree gives you an edge.  You
are a head of the game as your career moves on to architecting software,
databases, networks, security, et al.

If you see yourself in the industry past age 40(it comes faster than you
might think) a degree is a very good thing.

-Jeff
p.s. I didn't speak to the current employment market as I think that the
current problems are due to the dotcom bomb and resulting hangover and is a
temporary situation.