[olug] [OT] 80 pin SCA SCSI drives

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue May 14 01:48:25 UTC 2002

Oddly enough I was talking to a guy about this very thing today.
Apparently there is an adapter that will allow you to do this.  IIRC he
said it was about $40.

Bill

                    irishmasms at net
                    scape.net            To:     olug at olug.org
                    (Timothy G.          cc:
                    O'Brien)             Subject:     [olug] [OT] 80 pin SCA SCSI drives

                    05/13/02 08:01
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to olug

Now that I am over that nasty cold (well, almost); I am trying to
troubleshoot some drive problems in an Intergraph RAID array. The drives
keep "going" bad - 4 went bad the end of March, and two supposedly went bad
over the weekend.

I was not called in until late in the game the first time back the
beginning of April, where we swapped out the four drives that were
supposedly bad & reconstructed the array. This morning I was able to attack
the latest issue early on. Going into the RAID controller I was able to
produce a miracle and get the two drives that supposedly were "bad" working
again! Thankfully the logical drive in did not have any data on it yet.

Discussing the issue with an experienced Intergraph tech of 25+ years he
(as I) contributed it to a power or temperature issue. Yes a temperature
issue, a +/- 5 degree change will cause havoc with the RAID controller &
backplane apparently. Pass that on to the powers that be to take action as
required & on to other issues.

Now that you have the background ? here is my dilemma. I have four drives
that may still be good, even though the RAID controller supposedly thought
they were bad. These four ST19171WC are SCSI, 80-pin SCA (Hot Swap able) ?
so they do not have the normal connectors, nor pinouts to set the SCSI id's
and such. I'm wanting to put them on another SCSI controller and run some
tests to confirm they have failed or not. Sooo the question ? if I wanted
to put these on another SCSI controller, is there any way I can do so?

--
   Timothy "Irish" O'Brien

   1951 South 15th Street
   Omaha, NE