[olug] Abiword footnotes/Latex plug

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu May 2 15:13:04 UTC 2002

Tanya,
I completed my PhD thesis in December, and even though I'd had a great
number of figures and technical equations, I'd still recommend you look
into LyX (LaTeX frontend).  It handles table of contents, formatting and
page numbering really well and bibliography, Chapter, section and
subsection numbering are a snap. Although you said you're doing mostly
text, the figure and table handling in LyX is very good. I'd never do
any document of any length with a "word processor", long documents
quickly get out of hand. A good friend of mine did his thesis in Word
(UGH), he still has nightmares.

The only tricky part about the whole process of using LyX was setting up
a "thesis" class to use with the document (which you may not have to do
depending on the requirements of your grad school).  I ended up using a
LyX class made by a University of Colorado student (cleverly called
CU-Thesis class).  I can find the tar-balls for that and instructions on
how to install the class.  I don't know what school you're doing you PhD
for, but the format of the CU-thesis complied with the UNL thesis
formatting requirements.

LaTeX is certainly the king of *NIX document preparation, but LyX makes
the learning curve much smoother for picking up LaTeX (which you may
have to learn if you need to do special characters or special formats,
but I'll bet you can get good help here (or the Husker Linux User Group
Mailing List) if you need it).

Carl Lundstedt
UNL

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm