[olug] Suggestions/Gotchas for upcoming Debian Install

ktb xyf at nixnotes.org
Tue Jun 25 13:02:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:50:32PM -0500, Robert A. Jacobs wrote:
> Okay Gang,
>
> 	I'm about to redo my system and I'm going back to Debian (I've been
> using Mandrake for about six months now, cannot stand the way Mandrake
> organizes their filesystem or the hell that is RPM and totally miss the
> ease of use that is apt-get! -- No intention to incite a Holy War, just
> my opinion -- YMMV).
>
> 	What I would like from any of you out there are suggestions on how to
> make the early phases of this installation as painless as possible:
> specifically, I'd like to get to get at least base system, Internet
> connectivity via DHCP, Gnome 1.4, a mail server, and Evolution 1.0.5 in
> place on the first pass through the install -- I figure if I can get
> those things working, I can figure out any other problems I have using
> the many resources available on the net.
>
> 1.  Mailserver:  Exim or Postfix?  These are the two mailservers I've
> used in the past -- any opinions (God, help me) on which is "better"
> security-wise, ease of use/installation, etc.  Any other suggestions?
> Gotchas?

If you're actually going to run a mail server open to the outside I
would go with Postfix.  If you are going to run mail just locally I
would go with Exim.  Both will work of course just my personal
preference.  Both are easy to configure.  I would say Exim is a little
easier in the regard.  Postfix I go with for a mix of security and ease
of configuration.

> 2.  Setting up DHCP:  should just need to make sure my network card
> driver is installed, install dhclient, set nameservers in
> /etc/resolv.conf, correct?

You don't have to put name servers in /etc/resolv.conf.  Take a look and
edit /etc/dhclient.conf to fit your needs.

> 3.  Gnome 1.4:  I've had problems with this one in the past (one of the
> contributing reasons I went to Mandrake).  What debian packages do I
> need to install to get Gnome 1.4 to work?  Do I need to add any values
> to any of the various X configuration files in my home directory?  Six
> months ago, mixing Ximian and Gnome 1.4 packages was considered a No-No
> in the Debian world, still the case (not that I would, just curious)?

Never use it.

> By the way, my install strategy is to install a base system from
> Debian 2.2r6 CDs and then upgrade to Woody using Woody ISOs I've got
> dated June 10 (got 'em from the Debian On CD testing site).  Once the
> base system is upgraded, I'll install and configure the applications
> above, update apt.sources and be on my way. Any other suggestions?
> (btw, I'm not interested in doing a NET install at this time).

Why don't you just install the Woody base to start with?  If you must
install Potato first make sure you upgrade dpkg and apt stuff before
doing your "dist upgrade."

I think your idea of starting with the base is a good idea.  Add
packages as you need them.  Teaches you the various packages you need
and keeps cruft from piling on your system because you haven't installed
what you don't need:)
hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org