[olug] Cheap local co-lo?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Jun 8 21:16:42 UTC 2002

Quoting Aaron Grothe <grothe at earthlink.net>:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a good/cheap co-location facility in the Omaha area?

That's what *I* want to know - I've been looking for months, and they all want
exhorbant amounts of money for anything more than a 1u (1 3/4" tall - a little
more the height of a typical CD-ROM drive these days) rack mount unit, and
sometimes they want exhorbant amounts of money period.

> I've seen the topic a few times on the mailing list but was wondering if the
> situation in Omaha has changed.  The one good co-lo I knew of in town has
> disappeard.

Who was that?

> I'm currently thinking about the possibility of finding someone who can get
> DSL (I can't in my house 50th&Center area) and hosting the server at their
> place or trying out Microlnk's http://www.microlnk.com/ wireless service.
> Speaking of which does anybody on the mailing list use Microlnk?
>
> As for the parameters for how much bandwidth I would need.  I really don't
> know yet.  I'm hoping the site/project might be semi-popular but it could
> also go into limbo pretty easily.
>
> I'm also thinking about just using a hosting service that provides databases
> but I would like/need to run some custom code on the site which a lot of
> hosting services won't allow.

I may be able to help you out a bit - I've got a computer housed at a local
University (DS-3, baby!); email me privately and we'll see if we can get
something worked out.

This is, incidentally, the computer I've been looking for a co-lo for.

Brian Roberson might be able to help out as well if you email him; he allows
shell access to users.olug.org - the machine that handles web and email for
olug.org - for OLUG "members" and may be willing to accomodate your needs.

--

Phil

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org