[olug] RH 7.3 froze up?!?!!?!

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Mon Jul 22 14:20:55 UTC 2002

First, on the sound issue, you need to see if the redhat hardware
detection scripts recognized your sound card. As root, open a shell and
run the program

sndconfig

It should walk you through detecting your soundcard. If this fails for
whatever reason, you'll have to do some work manually. Try 'cat
/proc/pci', do you see your sound card listed there?

The freeze up issue could be many things. When this happens to me, I first
attempt to detemine if it's a kernel or a gui thing. If you can ping the
box and ssh into it (be aware that I don't believe redhat turns on the ssh
server by default) then it's just the gui. Can you kill X Windows with
ctrl-alt-backspace? If you can't hit it from the network then it's
not the gui. Are there any messages in /var/log/messages relating to this?
Try booting the system into single user mode and leave it sit for a while.
Does it still lock up? If so, then it's probably a hardware issue. Like
most troubleshooting efforts, you just have to work it down to a
limited environment where you can isolate one control variable.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

--
Adam Haeder
Technical Coordinator, AIM Institute