[olug] Computer fairs in area

Timothy G. O'Brien IrishMASMS at netscape.net
Thu Jan 17 02:55:39 UTC 2002

With the conversations off list regarding the sale of laptops & the local PC fairs I thought I would share with the whole list.

The Fair that used to be at the Radial Social hall, then the Fireman's hall, then at Chilli Greens, and finally at the National Guard Armory is no longer. This was "operated" by the fellow Brian Nash at computersoftshop.com - and I use the term operated loosely. AFAIK there is no other locations in central Omaha that will allow him to have this event any longer - so this show is a dead issue.

The other fair, which used to be at the Millard Social Hall is at the Holiday Inn Central. This last Saturday Patti & the folks at Computer Express hosted it in Ford Hall. There has been computer fairs numerous times in the past in Ford hall, and IMHO this is the best place. A nice big room with power and plenty of lighting, and easy to load & unload. There was a great turnout of vendors (not as much as I like, nor as many as used to show up in years past), and a good turnout for customers. I'm hoping they keep having it in Ford Hall (hint, hint ;).

Normally they have a coupon in some of the local papers for a $1 off admission, or grab a flier at the door for next month's show with a coupon. I also have a coupon or two if you want.

The web site is http://www.millardcomputerfair.com/ I just tried it and received a "Test Page for the Apache Web Server on Red Hat Linux" page - so at least they are using a real OS!! :-] Computer Express's phone number is (402) 894-5607.

The upcoming dates in 2002 are:
Mar 17
Apr 21
May 19
June 16
July 14
Aug 11
Sep 15
Oct 20
Nov 17
Dec 15

Just like anything else there are some good rules of thumb & guidelines for attending & participating in such an event. After the LAN party this weekend I'll try to put something together if anyone is interested.

--
   Timothy "Irish" O'Brien

   1951 South 15th Street
   Omaha, NE