[olug] Fw: [huskerlug] Re: my laptop

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sun Jan 6 14:16:19 UTC 2002

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 06:24:11 -0600
From: Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com>
To: huskerlug at freelists.org
Subject: [huskerlug] Re: my laptop

I finally got a new load of a linux distro on my laptop (gw solo 9100) at
the installfest, redhat 7.1. I did a rh7.1 install months ago, and I've
just come to realize the same problem I have now, that I had then.  I
installed it on my 2gig partition (6gig drive, 1st partition is 4gb for
win98) and it works fine, and Jon with the help of
http://www.robval.com/linux/solo/ got my X working pretty darn good... but
my problem:

I go to boot my win98 partition, 'dos' on the gui lilo prompt (ps- how can
I turn off that grapical lilo redhat picture? any1 know?) and ...
HIMEM.SYS is missing.

suggestions?

I believe the issues with my laptop locking up/freezing in linux though
(debian/redhat) must be hardware related issue, but its odd since I'm
never really doing anything, it just locks up.

Brian

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:02:36 -0600
James Worrest <jworrest at inebraska.com> wrote:

> 	Newbies always have problems, old-timers have problems, I think
> you never hear from Debian or Slackware users because they must not have
> any problems!

must be cuz they are geniuses who have been using linux for over 3 years
or so, and in some cases over 3 whole months! (nate) grrrr... :)

> 	I'm glad to hear your friend doesn't have any Windows programs that
> he has to run, such as income tax ones.  It  the lap-top was his only
> computer, he should have made it dual-boot no matter what distro he
uses.
> ---Jim

and sometimes 'dual-boot' won't save you. darn Red Hat! That's what I get
for finally trying them out, I had been resisting that on my laptop...
unfortunately debian and mandrake failed to install nicely for me this
time around.

> On Saturday 05 January 2002 16:14, you wrote:
> > Jake,
> > For the last few days I have heard lot of probs from u with ur laptop
and
> > SuSE7.3.In my opinion SuSE has made an early delivery of its
package.So it
> > will be better if you switch over to RedHat7.2.My freind use this
distro
> > and never faces any problem after wisely removing XP from his
dell-Inspiron
> > and installing RH7.2.Just try it.
> > Sumany

Brian