[olug] network

Mark Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Wed Jan 2 15:00:56 UTC 2002

Dear Nate,

Getting your network running isn't as complicated as some of the
solutions that I've heard other people propose.  Here are two simple
ways to get your network running.  You must perform all of the actions I
describe as root and I am assuming that you only have one ethernet card
and that you are trying to connect through your cable modem.  (If
someone using COX sees something wrong with what I'm suggesting, please
correct me.)

1. Put the following lines in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
using your favorite text editor

DEVICE="eth0"
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
ONBOOT="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME="your-host-name-here"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"

where you have replaced "your-host-name-here" with the name of your
machine (without the domain).  Once you have done this, your DHCP
connection will be established every time you boot.  To start your
network without rebooting, type "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
eth0" at the command line.

2. Type "netconf &" at the command line.  This will start a graphical
networking configuration tool (in the background).  Under the "Client
tasks" tab, push the "Host name and IP network devices" button to bring
up the corresponding dialog box.  Type your host name in the field under
the "host name" tab.  Under the "Adapter 1" tab, select DHCP as your
"Config mode", select eth0 as your "Net device", push the "Enabled"
button at the top of the dialog box, and then push the "Accept" button
at the bottom of the dialog box.  Once you do this, your machine will
attempt to establish a DHCP connection through your ethernet card.

Netconf edits /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (when
configuring eth0) and will use /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup to
establish your connection.  So, the two methods I've described have the
same results.

If your network doesn't start at boot after configuring it as I've
described, make sure that networking is being started for the run level
that you're booting to (probably 5).  To do this, type "chkconfig --list
network" at the command line.  This should produce a line that looks
like

network         0:off   1:off   2:off    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

meaning that networking is on for run levels 3, 4, and 5 and off
otherwise.  Networking should at least be on for run levels 3 and 5.  If
it is not, type "chkconfig --level 35 network on" at the command line.
If you want to learn more about chkconfig, see the man page.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org