[olug] Package management was: linux web server

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 19:22:24 UTC 2002

I don't feel the same way as you.  Users use computers to get stuff
done.  Most don't dick around with the computer the way we do.  apt and
urpmi are wonderful tools for these people.  They don't give a rats ass
about dependencies or their hardware.  They just want it to work.  If
it doesn't work then RTFM comes into play but until then these tools
are wonderful.

I personally don't want to dick around with dependencies and I am an
experienced Linux user.  I hate dicking with dependencies because it
doesn't let me "just work on my PC".

As an admin these programs are also wonderful because you don't have to
dick around with dependencies.  Broken dependencies waste time and time
is money.

Just because you don't want your computer to be easy to use doesn't
mean that other people don't.  I want applications for Linux.  I want
them to work.  I want them to be easy to use.  I want them to be easy
to install.  Apt provides the easy install for me.  It provides easy
install for newbies also.

The whole world shouldn't know the internals of a computer or how
dependencies work.  This works both ways.  I shouldn't have to know how
to be the CEO of Wal-Mart, I just want to go there and buy stuff.  I
don't know exactly how atoms that are mostly empty can form together to
make my ass and how those same atoms can hold my ass in the chair
without hitting the ground.  I just don't care.  It works and I like
it.

Eric

PS I like it better when the atoms form something soft that I can rest
my ass in comfortably.