[olug] linux web server management ?

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Dec 18 22:46:59 UTC 2002

I'd just like to state that I was referring solely to desktop workstation
installations.  Most desktop software that I use is install and use.  Not
much configuration or maintenance required.  Servers and the like are a
whole other matter.

For a server I accept a certain level of complexity.  For my personal
workstation I don't.

FWIW, if anyone really cares, the one NOS out there that really does things
right IMO, is Novell Netware.  Yes, I consider it better than any flavor of
*nix for the vast majority of NOS applications.

It's got:

Best cross-platform directory available (Netware, Windows, Linux, *nix,
flavors)
Graphical configuration tools (Soon to be web-browser based)
Internet server apps (Apache)
Rock solid stable
Secure (Heard any exploits for it lately that didn't require physical
access?)
Generally excellent documentation and support

I could go on, but I won't.  My dream is to run a network where I have
Novell's servers and directory to manage the servers, and workstations
running a nice, stable, secure version of Linux.

Bill