[olug] linux web server management ?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Dec 18 22:21:26 UTC 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:56:02 +0500
Munawar <support at apnihosting.com> wrote:

|I dont know how to use SSH :(
|--
|Munawar, support at apnihosting.com on 16/12/2002

ssh (secure shell) is an encrypted 'telnet' basically, it lets you
terminal in to a remote system.  the most common ssh server is OpenSSH
from openssh.org and comes preinstalled in most all linux/bsd/*nix
distributions.  it runs on port 22 and you can connect to it in windows
with the program "putty".  you simply need an account on the server, sshd
(ssh deamon/server) running on the host you are trying to connect to, a
connection, and an ssh client program, like "putty" for windows.  plug in
the info (user, password, host/ip, port (22 is standard)) and viola youre
connected.

from within a unix box, at the command shell you can simply use the ssh
command [1], like:
ssh bwiese at mycomputer.com

and then it will ask for my password and i get a connection/shell on that
remote computer.  you can also set up public/private key pairs on the
server so that you only authenticate yourself once to your local machine,
then you don't need a password to connect to a remote one...

to copy files over, you can use the scp command in unix or the "winscp2"
program for windows. in a unix shell simply type:
scp myfile bwiese at mycomputer.com:~/uploads/

and that will put the file "myfile" on my remote machine "mycomputer.com"
in the directory /home/bwiese/uploads/ since the "~" means home directory.
 It would be the same as:
scp myfile bwiese at mycomputer.com:/home/bwiese/uploads/

type these commands on a unix terminal for more info:
man ssh
man scp
man sshd

read up on the topics, look for tutorials - try linuxnewbie.org and
others, and do a google search for "putty" and "winscp2" if you dont have
them already for windows.

peace

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh&sektion=1

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart