[olug] linux web server management ?

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 16:08:52 UTC 2002

Debian is very easy.  All of the problems I've ever had with a debian
install were because I didn't have any good floppy disks.

Apt has front ends like ncurses based aptitude and GUI "forgot the name
but I used it last night".  Software install could not be any easier.

Here is what I do now.  I install a base debian system.  then from the
command line I type in the program I want to install.  I run a static
webserver on one so the first command I run from the base system is:

apt-get install apache

This grabs all dependencies and installs them.  Have you tried to do
something similar with one command from the command line in any other
distro?  It brings on fits of rage.

Another machine is a fileserver with samba.  From the base system:

apt-get install samba

That's it!!!!  Instant dedicated system!  So wonderfully easy I could
almost wet myself.

Debian is not hard to install it is just intimidating to think about.
In reality though, debian is easy.

Debian also comes with Webmin.

apt-get install webmin

Dude, Dell's are even this easy.

A graphical installer would be nicer yet.  Just to reduce the
intimidation factor.

Eric