[olug] linux web server management ?

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Dec 18 15:44:58 UTC 2002

I agree with the disagreement here.

Installing a "non-stock" program on any given distro can range from "piece
of cake" to "impossible".

For myself I would like to see Linux get somewhat close to DOS/Windows in
how programs are installed.  That is there is a standard
executable/binary/script name that you run, and the damn thing installs
itself.

I don't get  a charge out of running "Make", it's just tedious.  RPM hell
is well documented and even more tedious.  Apt sounds cool, but from what
I've heard Debian is pretty much for hard-core geeks. (When JR has problems
installing it I know I don't even want to bother.)

Don't get me wrong, I like Linux, and it's my leading candidate to replace
Windows, but doing some every-day tasks on it is insanely complicated.

That being said, my OpenOffice installation went pretty much flawlessly, so
I have hope.

Bill

                      "William E.
                      Kempf"                   To:       <olug at olug.org>
                      <wekempf at cox.net>        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [olug] linux web server management ?
                      olug-admin at olug.o
                      rg

                      12/18/2002 09:29
                      AM