[olug] linux web server management ?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Dec 17 05:52:10 UTC 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:51:17 +0500
Munawar <support at apnihosting.com> wrote:

|Yes I have installed linux at my home pc in Pakistan, I want to learn how
i can manage my server if its in USA and I am in Pakistan, How i can
install softwares, and how I can run it smoothly, I know peoples do it
remotely, but I dont know these things how to do.

|I know that if I got server from any company like rackshack.net
|
|they will install linux and control panel on it.
|
|I can get access via putty SSH
|
|but I dont know how i can manage other things.
|
|I need proper set of documents which will cover all these things, I
bought many books here, but no one is covering topics for this.

http://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/netweb-Apache.html
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/node39.html.gz
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html#s5.8
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

that should be a good reference point, and putty/ssh is all you need...
though webmin may make some configurations easier. many general linux/unix
books should walk you through the setup/admin/maintain of many services,
especially apache.  if you come across many problems, google it... you'll
probably find the answer in some mailing list archive perhaps.

good luck, peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart