[olug] My inodes ran out

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Dec 16 16:41:44 UTC 2002

On 16 Dec 2002, Trent Melcher wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 09:34, Mike Peterson wrote:
> > Watch your Redhat 7.3 systems closely.
> >
> > On the 2 out of 3 systems mentioned above I found that the
> > /var/log/mailman error log extension names keep getting longer and
> > even though logrotate is supposed to run weekly, the number of empty
> > error log files exceeded 10,000 after less than 6 months of the system
> > running.

Does your /etc/logrotate.d/mailman file look like this:

[root at kohi root]# cat /etc/logrotate.d/mailman
/var/log/mailman/bounce {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/digest {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/error {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/post {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/smtp-failure {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/locks {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/fromusenet {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/subscribe {
    missingok
}
/var/log/mailman/vette {
    missingok
}

We had the same problem you describe on a system running mailman and changed
this file to match what was running on another box and it started actually
rotating these error logs, whereas before the change they were sticking around
until we went in and deleted them manually.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

	A New York City judge ruled that if two women behind you at the
movies insist on discussing the probable outcome of the film, you have the
right to turn around and blow a Bronx cheer at them.