[olug] autofs, RedHat and smbfs

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Dec 13 16:59:14 UTC 2002

OK, this is frustrating, and I can't seem to find a definative answer on
the NET (go figure, this seems to be typical in Linux land).

At home, I've got a Mandrake 9.0 box which uses autofs to mount some
Windows shares via smbfs.  The relevant entries in auto.master and
auto.samba are as follows:

auto.master:

/samba /etc/auto.samba --timeout=60

auto.samba:

backups -fstype=smb,username=...,workgroup=...,password=... ://HOST/SHARE

I'm trying to set the same sort of thing up on a RedHat 6 box at work.
The entries are modified slightly, but should be correct:

auto.master:

/mnt/samba /etc/auto.samba --timeout=60

auto.samba:

backups -fstype=smb,username=...,workgroup=...,password=... ://HOST/SHARE

After setting this config files, here's what I see trying to test:

# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /var/log type ext3 (rw)

# /sbin/service autofs start
Starting automount:                                        [  OK  ]

# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /var/log type ext3 (rw)
automount(pid9941) on /mnt/samba type autofs
(rw,fd=8,pgrp=9941,minproto=2,maxpr
oto=3)

# cd /mnt/samba/backups
bash: cd: /mnt/samba/backups: No such file or directory

Doing a manual mount works just fine:

# mount -t smbfs -o username=...,workgroup=...,password=... //HOST/SHARE
/mnt/samba/backups

Searching the net I see some people use -fstype=smbfs instead of
-fstype=smb, but this makes no difference.  I found one posting that says
RedHat is missing the mount_smbfs.so file, but this was for RH 5 and my
Mandrake box doesn't have this library either... and everyone else claims
they get this to work with out it.  So... I don't know what I'm doing
wrong.  Any ideas?

William E. Kempf