[olug] Recommendation on a CD-RW drive

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Thu Dec 12 06:01:51 UTC 2002

Get a Toshiba!

One of the chief qualities I look for in computer parts is durability, and
in my experience most CD-ROM drives (including CD-R/CD-RW) are not built to
last, especially the cheaper ones.  I still use lots of PC parts that are 4+
years old.  My biggest challenge when assembling test PC's out of old
hardware is finding a functional CD drive.  Last time I raided my spare
parts to build a system I had 6 CD-ROM drives that are 2+ years old.  4 of
them don't work, the other 2 are toshibas.

Nick Walter