[olug] Many Errors with Openssh

neal r neallist at wispair.net
Mon Dec 2 15:59:24 UTC 2002

  sshd starts as root. There were some 'privilege escalation' problems
until something like version 3.0. Newer versions require a separate sshd
userid - the application runs at that level after it starts as root and
grabs port 22.

 Not sure about Redhat any more, since I graduated to FreeBSD from
Redhat 6.2, but this should be the clue that you need ...