[olug] securing rh7.2 box

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Thu Aug 22 15:31:44 UTC 2002

First step of security is the grand "turn it all off" tour.  do a
"netstat -plan" to see what is running and disable everything you aren't
explicitly sure you need.  You can look in /etc/xinetd.d/ for a lot of
services.  Just add a disable=yes line to the individual files to
disable an xinetd service.  Other services (such as ssh) might have
their own independant startups and daemons.  Those you will have to
disable by preventing their startup script in /etc/init.d from running
(hint: use chkconfig).  If the machine is nothing but a dedicated mail
system, I'd suggest postfix and ssh are all you need running.

As always, protect the machine with a firewall if at all possible.
Configure the firewall to only allow traffic on a few select ports such
as ssh, smtp, and possibly pop3 or imap.

Nick Walter