[olug] DHCP questions

Don E. Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Wed Aug 21 17:47:21 UTC 2002

I recently got DHCP on my Qwest Choice Online.  i have the linux box (RH 7.2)
up and running after some confusion. I need some advice or good how ti's on
setting up my Win 98 box to work similarly to what it was

Previously I had the two boxes  networked w/ private/ public static P's
Linux having the public and Wind 98 the private. Since I've had DHCP this
doesn't work.  So how do I do this now? I'd be interested in several pieces
of info.

1. Setting M$ 98 box up with a private static IP address networked with Linux
Dynamic IP.

2. I'm using IPtables  / Netfilter so I need to know what I use for SNAT
postrouting. Here's the line i used for the static IP below.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 10.190.6.223

I found some advice that seemed to suggest I replace this with the line
below.

and leave off the --to <static IP> That didn't seem to work either,

3.  How would I go about setting up DHCP on my internal network? There's
probably a couple of good how tors on this  so if anyone knows of any they
can recommend it.

A. Would there be any advantages / disadvantages  to setting up this way?

B. Do i need different equipment or will this work with a crossover cable?

Thanks In advance!

Don Kauffman