[olug] Wierdness with iptables amd compiling the kernel. (continued)

Don Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Thu Aug 15 15:21:42 UTC 2002

  replies interspersed.

Thanks Jonathan!

Jonathan Warren wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:15:16PM -0500, Don Kauffman wrote:
>
>>Sorry about my incomplete earlier message. I clicked send when I wanted
>>to do something else . . . .
>>
>>I have some wierdness going on between  the 2.4.7-10 kernel and the
>>2.4.9-34 kernel (from RedHat) and IPtables. (netfilter) I'm off the net
>>with the Linux box until I get this figured out  I have an idea thie all
>>might have to do with the System.map but I'm not sure. So, here goes an
>>attempt to express this well enough to get some help! [:-)]
>>
>>1. I compiled the 2.4.9-34 kernel using the configuration file I saved
>>from when I configured and compiled the 2.4.7 version. I compiled all of
>>netfilter as part of the kernel instead of as a module.
>>
>>2. When I run my IPtables firewall shell script with 2.4.9, I get the
>>following (for example):
>>/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
>>init_module: Device or resource busy
>>Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
>>
>>including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>>/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
>>/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
>>/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
>>ip_tables failed
>>iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
>>(do you need to insmod?)
>>Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>>
>>3. Having already installed iptables as part of the kernel, why would I
>>then need to insmod???? I also wonder if the 2.4.7 modules aren't
>>getting in the way here?
>>

>yeah I don't think it is part of the kernel.
>
>>4. When I use the 2.4.7 version that I compiled, it tells me that
>>iptables not found and I KNW that shouldn't be because I compiled it
>>with IPTABLES support. It used to work but doesn't since I compilled the
>>2.4.9 version??????
>>
>cd /usr/src/linux;make modules ; make modules_install
>
>>4. I checked /lib/ and I don't have a modules-2.4.9* library. Problem?
>>Do I create it myself? It seems like  the compilation of the kernel
>>should do it for me
>>
>cd /usr/src/linux;make modules ; make modules_install

Did I forget to mention I had run this as part of the kerrnel
compilation process? I did! I "assumed". Sorry. Anyway I did this again.

I take back my earlier statement. IT DID create the  2.4.9-34custom
library. In it resides one module: net/netfilter/ipv4/ipt_tos.o.

>>5. What is  the purpose of System.map? I can't find anything in my
>>documentation that gives any indication of its funstion,
>>
>I have never had System.map cause any problems and I have had it pretty out of whach with the running kernel.  I wouldn't spend too much time looking at that.  Make sure your modules got configured and installed.

I also just realized that part of the mystery may be that I downloaded
just the RedHat Kernel source, not the operating kerrnel -- which
probably would have installed the modules library. (I only have the
*9-34custom/ lib, not the *9-34/ lib).  Hence, a lot of what I'm seeing
is probably the result of that "Idiocy" on my part. :-) Correct??