[olug] RH73 & tconl (Qwest Telechoice)

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sun Aug 4 08:36:10 UTC 2002

At Sat, 27 Jul 02, Unidentified Flying Banana Jon H. Larsen, said:
> Is anyone running RH73 or 72 with Qwest Telechoice?
>
> What did you do to get DHCP running?

I just got back from vacation, so I know that the specific problem you
were having has ended, but I spent over three years doing Cable Modem
installations for Qwest (then US West) TeleChoice, and I'd be happy to
answer any questions or help out with anyone who has any trouble.

As far as whether they use static IPs or DHCP, they currently use both.
Initially, each modem/computer had a static internal IP (10.*.*.*) which
is translated by the firewall to a real IP address (pulled from a large
pool of real IP's, and released when no longer needed).  All newer
modems (DOCSIS modems) make use of DHCP to pull their IP address,
although the rest of the system is still similar.

When I stopped doing installations, they were planning on swapping out
all of the old LANcity modems in favor of DOCSIS modems (and we spent a
great deal of time and effort doing just that), but as I understand it,
this has been stopped for now, and the old modems are currently only
being swapped out when they experience problems.

--
Christopher