[olug] dhcpcd problem

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Apr 25 12:55:24 UTC 2002

It could be something as simple as your Cox router only being set to allow
one IP to be assigned at a time.  I know the Roadrunner routers store the
MAC address of the first attached machine and will only give an IP to that
machine.  Try unhooking your old PC, unplug your router and then plug it
back in, and then see if your laptop obtains an address.  With Roadrunner
you have to unplug the router(cable modem) because there's no "off" switch.

Bill

                    "Tanya
                    Loughead"            To:     <olug at olug.org>
                    <tanyaloughead       cc:
                    @cox.net>            Subject:     [olug] dhcpcd problem

                    04/24/02 09:41
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to olug

Hello all...  I have no idea if I am responding to this thread in the
correct manner, but I am new: not only to "OLUG," but to Linux in general.
am afraid that I need a whole-lotta-help.  I am trying my best to learn!
I do have a "UNIX- geek"  mentor, who is helping me as much as he can, but
alas-- he is in Portland, Oregon and can only do so much.
Anyway-- I am having a problem with my "dhcpcd" as well.  I have a new
laptop with a Xircom modem/Ethernet card. Last week, I installed Red Hat
7.2
on to it.  I have Cox Internet service already set up for my old desk-top
computer (runs on Windows--
{ya-- ya-- I know}). When I installed my Red Hat 7.2 onto my new laptop, it
wouldn't read my
Ethernet  card.  I am having lots of troubles getting connected to
Internet.
My ever-so-kind UNIX mentor is helping me do all kinds of checks on
hardware
and dhcpcd-- nothing seems to be wrong with anything.  But, I can't get an
address assigned from the Cox service-- just keep getting the "192" inet
address. Just tonight, I bought a cross-over cable-- thinking that might be
the problem.  Still no service.
What ever shall I do?

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org